40 years of strong roots are foundation of a sustainable future for Grasshopper
Oct 28, 2009
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – Grasshopper kicked off their 40th Anniversary year at GIE+EXPO 2009 with free trees, a message of sustainability and eco-friendly products.
The Strong Roots For A Sustainable Future initiative packaged Meyer Spruce trees in re-usable shopping tote bags. Both the trees and the message were a major draw with attendees who swarmed their booth for the offer.
“With a conservative yet impactful approach, Grasshopper was able to remind visiting dealers and customers that it is ‘40 years young’ in 2009 and committed to sound and sustainable business and environmental practices,” says Ruthanne Stucky, marketing director at Grasshopper.
“The tree symbolizes Grasshopper’s development of strong roots through environmentally-friendly manufacturing processes, as well as the development of strong branches through innovation which holds the promise of future growth in the lawn equipment industry,” says Stucky. “Grasshopper’s commitment to sustainable ecological practices will help ensure both the tree, and the company, thrive in an environmentally healthy world.”
The message wrapped around the free tree emphasizes how a quality product goes a long way toward maintaining an ecological balance.
Grasshopper is recognized as the early adopter of conservation-friendly manufacturing processes, including:
• Use of recyclable powder-coat paint since for more than 20 years;
• Recapture and reuse of all metal scraps for casting;
• Emphasis on plant cleanliness and flow of production processes to ensure maximum safety for employees and quality of products;
• Use of Computer Aided Drafting/Computer Aided Machining (CAD/CAM) system integrated with a 3-D solid modeling computer design system to optimize use of material and production resources.
Attributes engineered and built into Grasshopper products also help promote conservation:
• 1,000-hour oil change intervals on drive systems, which run cooler to last longer, saving time and reducing waste;
• Mulching and vacuum options for every mower for recycling of clippings and return of nutrients to the soil;
• Quiet- and clean-running, Tier 4-I compliant engines, including diesel, that reduce greenhouse gas and noise emissions.
• Long-lasting components and construction built into every unit, providing many years – even generations – of use.
“Forty years has provided a significant window to see that Grasshopper offers something special: a quality that is consistent and sustainable over generations,” says Stucky.
About Grasshopper A family-owned business with nearly 55 years of manufacturing experience, The Grasshopper Company has specialized in manufacturing True ZeroTurn™ riding rotary mowers since 1969. For 40 years, Grasshopper has studied the needs of government entities, turf care professionals and equipment owners across the nation and around the world. Grasshopper products are available through a worldwide network of knowledgeable, independent dealers offering sales, parts and service to turf care professionals, business and government entities, and discerning individuals.